What do you want to know?
About Squires Field
"THE SQUIRES FIELD WAS PRESENTED TO THE TOWN OF FOWEY AS A RECREATION GROUND IN PERPETUITY BY COLONEL EDWARD TREFFRY C.M.G., O.B.E., A.D.C., T.D., D.L. IN MEMORY OF HIS FATHER CHARLES EBENEZER TREFFRY OF PLACE FOWEY WHO DIED ON 27TH FEBRUARY 1924 AND WAS FOR 40 YEARS SQUIRE OF THIS PARISH. THE SQUIRES FIELD OPENED TO THE PUBLIC ON 1ST MAY 1926."
The Squires Field site comprises a football pitch, children’s play area, old bowling green and club house and now the community centre and football pavilion.
In 1925 Mr Treffry gave a field to the Fowey Borough Council for use as a recreational field, when it became known as Squires Field.
It has been used since before the war as the football pitch for Fowey Town and has housed over the years tennis courts, putting green and children’s play equipment.
It is currently a football pitch and pavilion, a community centre and a modern children’s play area.
The old bowling club is now owned by Fowey Town council and leased to Squires Field Community Centre CIC . the directors and committee members are all volunteers who maintain the upkeep of the building and grounds with money raised through the hire of the centre, donations and grants.
THE SQUIRE'S FIELD COMMITTEE
Maggie Blake (Director)
Sophie Burt (Director)
Angela Cottrell (Director)
Vicky Canavan (Director)
Gill Histon (Director)
Annie Stuart (Director)
Steph Thomas (Director)